Council of Nicaea 325 AD
At the insistence of the Roman emperor, Constantine, and for the purpose of establishing unity between Christianity and Pagan beliefs, Jesus was declared to be coequal, co-eternal, and con-substantial with God. This established, Constantine made Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire. Before Constantine’s rule the Christians suffered much persecution at the hands of Rome.
Pagan roots of Christianity
► Attis – Phrygia:
✔ Born of the virgin Nana on December 25.
✔ He was both the Father and the Divine Son.
✔ He was a savior crucified on a tree for the salvation of mankind.
✔ He was buried but on the third day the priests found the tomb empty
✔ He had arisen from the dead (on March 25th).
✔ He followers were baptized in blood, thereby washing away their sins
► Dionysus – Greece
✔ Born of a Virgin on December 25th
✔ He was crucified on a cross
✔ His followers ate sacred meal that became the body of the god.
✔ He rose from the dead March 25th.
✔ He was called the ram and lamb’s and was called “King of Kings” “Only Begotten Son” “Savior” “Redeemer” “Sin bearer” “Anointed One” the “Alpha and Omega.”
► Heracles – Greece
✔ Born at the winter equinox of a virgin who refrained from sex with her until her god-begotten child was born
✔ He was sacrificed at the spring equinox.
✔ He was called “Savior” “Only begotten” “Prince of Peace”
► Osiris – Egypt
✔ Ring of Bell.
✔ Sprinkling of holy water.
✔ Burning of candles.
✔ Pine tree, for his birthday.
► Mithra – Persia
✔ He was born of a virgin on December 25th.
✔ He was buried in a tomb and after three days he rose again.
✔ He was considered “the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior
✔ He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.
✔ His sacred day was Sunday, “the Lord’s Day,”
✔ Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected.
► Prometheus – Greece
✔ Prometheus descended from heaven as God incarnate as man, to save mankind.
✔ He was crucified, suffered and rose from the dead.
✔ He was called the Logos or Word.
Trinities were popular in pagan sects before Christianity
Some of the well known trinity gods are:
● The Classical Greek Olympic triad of Zeus (king of the gods), Athena (goddess of war and intelect) and Apollo (god of the sun, culture and music)
● The Delian chief triad of Leto (mother), Artemis (daughter) and Apollo (son)
● The Famous Delian triad of Athena, Zeus,Hera and Heracles
● In ancient Egypt there were many triads, the most famous among them that of Osiris (man), Isis (wife), and Horus (son), local triads like the Theban triad of Amun, Mut and Khonsu and the Memphite triad of Ptah, Sekhmet and Nefertem, the sun-god Ra, whose form in the morning was Kheper, at noon Re-Horakhty and in the evening Atum, and many others.
● The Roman Capitoline Triad of Jupiter (father), Juno (wife), and Minerva (daughter).
● The Roman plebeian triad of Ceres, Liber Pater and Libera (or its Greek counterpart with Demeter, Dionysus and Kore).
● Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva (Trimurti) in Hindu mythology.
● Mitra, Indra, and Varuna in early vedic Hinduism.
O People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, “Three”; desist – it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs. [Qur’an 4:171]